Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Carnival of Feminists No. 26



Welcome to the 26th Carnival of Feminists!




Table of Contents

  • Welcome & Introduction

  • From the Feminist Blogosphere

  • Why I Blog

  • This is What a Feminist Blog Looks Like

  • Personal and Political

  • Hot Topics

  • The Beauty Myth

  • The Halloween Spirit

  • Title IX

  • Mommy Dearest

  • Carnivals Galore!

  • Carnival of Feminists No. 27

  • Can't wait for the next Carnival of Feminists?

  • Ready to host your own carnival?

  • The End



  • Introduction

    So. I'm going to start this carnival with a go on the tilt-o-whorl of blatant honesty. When I volunteered to host this carnival, I had no idea what I was doing in the blogosphere and I had only a vague conception of what blog carnivals were. My motivation for getting involved in the Carnival of Feminists comes from my M.A. thesis topic: the formation of online feminist networks via blogging and blog carnivals (I want to be completely transparent here about my role as a researcher/participant-observer). As a new blogger who had only mastered HTML in terms of bolding and italicizing text, I zealously (and naively) contacted Natalie Bennett and asked how I could get involved - and, well, here we are (anyone need to jump off the tilt-o-whirl?). Although I hope it is not too painfully evident to loyal readers, this hosting experience is my first. I'm hoping that my efforts can be appreciated in the same way that my mother appreciated the first scarf that I knitted; she was happy to recieve it as a present even though it looked more like a raggedy-edged place mat that moths had attacked (viciously).

    Enough self-effacement. As a graduate student in Women's Studies, I've spent a lot of time thinking (academically) about feminist methodology. In putting this blog carnival together, one of the big questions that I was considering was whose voices would be represented in the 26th Carnival of Feminists. As the editor-of-sorts, I felt a little uncomfortable with the power I would yield (I'm more collaborative than dictatorial). So, in an attempt to balance my authority, I have taken several steps to create a truly feminist carnival:

  • I tried to be as inclusive as possible by soliticing a diverse pool of bloggers and by accepting all relevant/appropriate submissions/nominations. Despite these attempts, I would critique this carnival's content as being overly western and US-centric, which reflects (for better or worse) my own politics of location.

  • When requesting submissions, I asked individuals to summarize their posts and then quoted these summaries (when provided) in discussing the articles I was directing readers to.

  • I fully recognized that the descriptions that I have created of other bloggers' posts (when summaries were not provided) is based on my interpretation of their writing. In cases where I felt that my interpretation might be questionable, I have used question marks to encourage readers to second-guess my assessment. I am responsible for my (mis)interpretations and readers should form their own opinions (and share them by commenting on the carnival!).

  • As several bloggers have assisted me in the carnival process (shout out to my HTML coaches!), I included resources about hosting blog carnivals to share the wisdom that others imparted upon me. Further, I provided links to other carnivals in a feminist (?) attempt to share information and build communities. Additionally, links are provided to both individual posts and the main pages of featured blogs with the hope of increasing the longevity of the carnival.

  • I realized that I am in a precarious position as a researcher-blogger-host in terms of the controveries that exist in the feminist blogosphere. I did not include or exclude any material from being considered because of past/present/potential controversies. My "positivist neutrality" here does not, however, relieve me of my accountability in making this decision and I am open to talking about this choice.

  • I wrote this belaboured introduction.

  • Enjoy the ride...


    From the Feminist Blogosphere

    Why I Blog

    There are probably as many reasons to blog as there are blogs on the internet. In recent posts, Jill Dolan on The Feminist Spectator and Jennifer Noveck on Nurenxintan discuss why they blog. Jill Dolan discusses "the theories and practices of feminist blogging" while Jennifer, a Fulbrighter in China, "details how she is using her blog and photoblog as an alternative online research method."


    This Is What a Feminst Blog Looks Like

    In a two-part interview (part 1, part 2) A Blog Without a Bicycle and Makeshift Dialect chat about feminism, blogging, and the accessibility of academia.

    Hugo Schwyzer discusses masculinity and aging on his blog, which is a great example of a feministy man-blog (he's obviously learned from Brawny Academy and not Miller Light, jk).


    Personal and Political

    Many bloggers engage in political activism in cyberspace. Whether writing on a personal or political (or personal-political, politically personal, etc) blog, these bloggers advocate for cultural change through social commentary. In this section, I would like to highlight nominations/submissions that focus on politics and feminism. Alecto Erinyes reflects on Sisterhood and Solidarity's attempt to "make a cyber-space for labour feminists". Uma, on India Writing, celebrates that "this week Irmana [an Indian woman who is a rape survivor] found justice" and then updates readers about how this victory was short-lived. At Two Peas, No Pod, Paul expresses frustration about abortion policies in Nicaragua. Keeping midterm elections in mind, Bullmoose, advocates for an ERA to be added to the US constitution. And because the US midterm elections will have consequences (perhaps even greater consequences) for those who will not be voting, I would recommend checking out Riverbend's reflections on the Lancet study.


    Hot Topics


    The Beauty Myth

    Online identity raises interesting questions about embodiment. Redneck Feminist considers how being "hot" tempers folks reactions to women who self-identify as feminists in the off-line world, but that no one is really "hot enough to be a feminist" safe from hostile criticism online. On Way Too Pretty Awesome Goddess conducts a similar yet satirically (?) different experiment (?) about how body type can influence interactions; on many levels, the comments on this blog are as interesting as the content.

    On a different note, at Alas, A Blog Maia uses a post by Winter on Mind the Gap to explore the intersections between feminism, femininity, and class status both on and off line.

    In considering fashion (or at least a fashion magazine), Maxine Clark examines the infamous female shoe fetish on Petrona. Discussing fashion in a different vein, Feminish powerful piece on "flesh, cloth, and rape".


    The Halloween Spirit

    Although many of us (in areas that celebrate this candy-heavy holiday) are crashing from our trick-or-treating sugar high, the October 19th article in the NYTimes about women's halloween costumes created quite a buzz in the blogosphere that is worthy of inclusion in this carnival, as it is being published on El Dia de Los Muertos. Both Twisty on I Blame the Patriachy in The Slut-O-Ween Report and Ann on Feministing in This Halloween, I'm dressing as a dicthomy provide analysis of this article. Inspired by this article, Veronica on NinePearls reminisces about Halloweens' past. The Caffeinated Geek Girl also reflects on the NYTimes article and asks if "a feminist can still have fun on Halloween." Further, interesting follow-up to the on-going "slut-o-ween" discussion can be found on Feminist Law Professors where David S. Cohen brings up a pole-dancing "toy" that is being marketed to young girls; many other bloggers, such as BoingBoing on Feministing and Christine at Our Bodies, Our Blog, also noted this problematic product in their recent posts.


    Title IX

    Girls (in sports), girls (in the classroom), girls (in the corporate world)! Bloggers are talking about girls and the policies and ideas that effect them. Books Are Pretty reviews a recent book about girls, sports, and competition. On Cruella Blog, Kate Smurthwaite looks at reports on male (not so good) versus female (great!) performance on the GCSE and asks, "why all these over-achieving girls are still on the receiving end of a massive pay gap and hold virtually none of the top jobs in this country?". Hilde Corneliussen pursues a similar theme about gendered perceptions of academic performance in math when she considers a recent study that was conducted "to test if there were any math-gene" at the University of British Columbia on Gender and Computing.


    Mommy Dearest

    Personally, I think feminist moms rock. Feminist moms who make time blog, well, they amaze me! Like Bitch Ph.D., who assesses the politics of housework. And Nina of Queercents highlights another techno-savvy (and thrifty!) mom when she interviews Dana, who runs a website for lesbian mothers, about "her perspective on money…as a parent, as a partner, as a child, and as a stay-at-home mom".

    Although not a mother herself, the Happy Feminist isn't quite laughing about Jewish mother jokes.

    From the Archives

    Blogging is certainly a form of fast media, but some hyperlinks are forever (or not). Delving into the archives, I found these posts (an ecletic mix, if you will) that I think are worth re-visiting:

  • The Male Privilege Checklist

  • Feminism and the digital divide

  • As Feminism Goes By

  • The Feminist (blog) Community and Anger

  • forgive me for having been directed here by a friend (scroll down to this comment)

  • Sweater girl

  • Online Identity Bibliography



  • Carnivals Galore!


    The Carnival of Feminists No. 27

    The next Carnival of Feminists will be published on November 15th and will hosted by Debbie and Laurie on Body Impolitic. To contribute or nominate articles, you can use the submission form. Do show your support!


    Can't wait for the next Carnival of Feminists?

    Then check out these cool carnivals:

  • African Women Bloggers

  • Radical Women of Color Carnival

  • Carnival Against Sexual Violence

  • Disability Blog Carnival

  • Carnival of Bent Attractions

  • Erase Racism

  • Carnival of SF Feminists


  • Ready to host your own carnival?

    Then check out these helpful guides created by previous carnival hosts and such:

  • Sour Duck's Carnival Host Notes

  • The History Carnival VII...plus Orac's advice to blog carnival hosts

  • How I Hosted the Tangled Bank

  • How Not to Host a Blog Carnival

  • Blog Carnival FAQ



  • The End

    Thanks for stopping by the 26th Carnival of Feminists. I'm looking forward to your comments and the dialogues that will ensue.

    Hope you enjoyed this carnival ride! Whee...



    Please read the Informed Consent Form in full before posting to this blog.

    10 comments:

    1. Well, that's an impressive post and collection from such a modest preamble. (I also am pretty "basic" on html).
      Thanks very much for the link to Petrona, I really appreciate it. (It's "Clarke" with an e though, but never mind, happens to me all the time).

      Have you come across Lynne Scanlon's blog "The Publishing Contrarian"? (She is the Wicked Witch of Publishing, TM!). There is a stimulating debate over there with more than 50 comments when I last looked about "niche" publishing (African-American). The Publishing Contrarian


      I think you'd like it.

      (That url is rather long -- the blog itself is at

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey, just wanted to say nice job, and thanks for including me!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for hosting this, *e! I thought the blog-carnival resources were a great addition to all the good writing.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Very interesting site.

      But I've never understood that old saying.

      A fish doesn't need or want a bicycle, while most of us do in fact need and want men in our lives.

      No?

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wow, nice work! I'm just figuring out that the Carnival is a great way to find so many interesting blogs. I'm pretty new in the blogosphere myself and probably wouldn't have had the wherewithall to put something like this together. Kudos.

      Thanks, especially for the links to the mothering/housewifery posts at Bitch PhD, I missed those!

      F.H.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Well done! You did a great job - and the HTML was even fancy.

      ReplyDelete

    Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.