Friday, March 30, 2007

Interview with Nathan

To me feminism is a misnomer. Feminism to me means fighting against The Patriarchy and how women are treated by it is only one face of what's wrong with the patriarchical nature of our culture. -Nathan

Another great interviewer with a feminist blogger - this time a male feminist blogger, Nathan of Misanthrope Cyclist.

Interview

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you identify as a "feminist"? How important, if at all, is
being/not being a feminist to your identity?


Nathan: I identify as a feminist - or, at least, a pro-feminist man. Feminism as an idea has been in me since at least when I was a teenager but has only recently (since December) been a focal point in my life. It is very important to me! I refer to my discovery of feminist theory as my second epiphany, the first being my becoming a cyclist. What I found in feminist theory was an explanation for a good portion of what I saw and felt around me that was observable as not only sexism but also racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, bullying, the high divorce rate, rage and violence, xenophobia, insecurity, depression . . . When I started reading some feminist theory, things that had been bothering me for years started clicking into place.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Whether or not you identify as a feminist, what does "feminism" mean to you?

Nathan: To me feminism is a misnomer. Feminism to me means fighting against The Patriarchy and how women are treated by it is only one face of what's wrong with the patriarchical nature of our culture.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you or have you ever kept a blog or blogs? When you spend time online, do you read blogs? Are there any blogs you read regularly? Tell me about your blog(s).

Nathan: I have a blog - been doing it for a little over two years. Shortly after I realized I needed to start cycling to work I started reading and then participating in some cycling blogs. As I started to feel part of this community of cycling bloggers I decided to stop mooching and start sharing myself. Because of this it naturally started out as a cycling blog but I address most important aspects - along with plenty of not-so-important aspects - of myself and my life (it's a personal blog) on it, including depression, marriage, raising kids, and feminism. One thing notably missing from it is politics, at least explicitly.

Aside from my blog [Misanthrope Cyclist] I try to keep up with a bunch of other, mostly
personal, blogs.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: How do you define a "blog"?

Nathan: A blog is an online journal with a theme of some sort though the theme could range anywhere from very specific to very general.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: What qualifies as a "feminist blog"?

Nathan: A feminist blog is one that addresses feminist issues with a mindset that feminism is both a positive and important thing. It might be a person's personal discovery or experiences with feminist issues, links to and discussions on news with feminist overtones, or essays on feminist theory.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Have you ever participated in a blog carnival? If so, tell me about that experience.

Nathan: I hadn't heard about a blog carnival until you participated in the Carnival of Feminists.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you belong to or consider yourself a member of any online community? How do you define these communities?

Nathan: I consider myself a current member of the following online communities:
- bloggers, utility cycling
- bloggers, cycling in MSP
- bloggers, winter cycling
- bloggers, anti-Patriarchy
- Velospace.org
- Yahoo! group, rootsradicals
- Wikipedians

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you think that activism can be carried out online? What are the possibilities of such activism? Do you think that feminist activism is being conducted online? If so, can you think of any examples?

Nathan: Activist activities can clearly be carried out online. From what I've seen in the feminist blogosphere, I know raising awareness of feminist issues and ideas and theory sharing and debate is taking place widely online; to a lesser extent calls for action on feminist issues is taking place online; and I can think of at least one example of action planning and resource organization on a particular feminist issue - UBUNTU (http://iambecauseweare.wordpress.com/).

...Nathan has promised to continue this conversation with me. More interviews with him coming soon!

I'd really love to increase the number of male bloggers who have been interviewed for my project. As of right now, the gender scheme is a bit imbalanced - and I know that there are great feminist bloggers out there of all genders. Post a comment on my blog with contact information or email ablogwithoutabicycle(at)gmail(dot)com. Looking forward to it...


Please read the Informed Consent Form in full before posting to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.