Monday, August 06, 2007

Women, Blogging, & Online Harassment

I stumbled upon the provactively titled post Blogging While Female on the Nation's blog this morning and nostalgic reminiscing about my M.A. thesis hit me full force. One of the major topics that I discussed in my thesis was the disproportionate amount of sexism that female bloggers face online and how this related to the maintenance of the public sphere a la Habermas. No surprise here, but it seems that the occurrence of gender-based online harrassment has not diminished while I have been on a healthy break from all things thesis-related. This article reminded me of how important it is for this issue to be addressed - not just for equality in the blogosphere but in society, on and offline, in general.

Update: Feministing has started a discussion of this article and "blogging while female" through one of its comment threads. Join in!


Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjuction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.