Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Some Real Nutjobs


Roomie and I were watching Fox News over the weekend for the entertainment (not information) value. We figure you need a little bad TV in your life every once in while...And what semi-fictional account of world events could be better?

Well.

My jaw dropped when a special report on the Hillary Clinton nutcracker aired. Roomie had quick and witty comments analyzing the gender bias underlying the situation, but all I could muster was, "Uncool." I guess I had my feminist hat on a little too tight, because I failed to see the humor the commentators were so thoroughly enjoying.

Tracy Flory-Clark over at Broadsheet provided excellent analysis of this 2008 election paraphenilia. Indeed, it is an
awesomely vivid manifestation of extreme cultural anxiety over a woman becoming commander in chief!
Like those over at Broadsheet, I do hope that this gadget will provide the "catharsis" for those who are anxiety-ridden over women coming into position's of power.


Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjuction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.