Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Making Blog Cents

Something that I think about every once and again is whether or not I would want to put ads up on my blog. The thought of a monthly blog-generated allowance always leads to a flurry of questions...Do blogs make money? Or, enough money for ads to be worth installing? Would being accountable to advertisers or a blog advertisement service change the way that I blog? Or the way that I feel about my blog? Would the possibility of lucrative revenue increase or decrease my blogging motivation? Would I still be able to participate in the review communities I frequent? How would readers feel about ABWAB "selling out" to ads? And what is the best ad company anyway?

So, I'm going to ask the experts - you ABWAB readers. What do you think about blog adverts?


Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjunction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour!

    Well, I have Google Adsense ads on my page, but I never pay attention to what's featured there. I probably should, if only to scan for potentially offensive ads, but for the most part I think most people who view my site ignore them. I know it defeats the purpose of having them at all, but it's such a passive way to generate (albeit a very tiny) income that it doesn't bother me to have them on there.

    I'm also an Amazon.com associate and advertise my favorite French-related books and films, but in the last two months the widget's generated one sale. Not bad for a newbie, but I don't ever expect to make a ton of money off of it.

    I would suggest checking out some of the blogs that discuss nothing but blog advertising for ideas on how to go about doing this (assuming you're very serious about it). With regard to your fears of "selling out," I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you really DO plan to censor yourself to attract more advertising. I think that as long as you continue to generate interesting, provocative content for your readers, they'll continue to support you and your blog. Most will understand that many really good blogs can't survive without some minimum amount of financial investment.

    By the way, you can always be really choosy about which ads you accept. I've heard of sites that offer progressive, feminist-oriented advertising, although I can't think of any at the moment. If I come across any, I'll let you know.

    Happy New Year!

    Salut,
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great insight, Marjorie. I am definitely going to take your advice and check out blogs - especially feminist-y ones that include ads - and will report back with my findings.

    I welcome more discussion from bloggers - like Marjorie - who are experienced with adverts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, e! The Simple Dollar posted a very thoughtful, very long post recently about why he stopped taking ads on his very popular and lucrative site. I think his primary income was coming from Google Adsense. Anyway, you can follow the post and its subsequent comments (234 as of this writing!!!) here: http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/12/18/why-ive-decided-to-abandon-google-ads-on-the-simple-dollar/.

    I don't necessarily agree with all of his points, but he brings up some issues that you may be interested in considering.

    I hope others will continue this discussion. I read an article a few months ago in a finance magazine about how the new moneymaker in Web 2.0 is through advertising, so it's something that bloggers who are serious about their work shouldn't ignore. Because it's still so relatively new, though, I suspect that the online feminist community has yet to really grapple with the implications for their sites, which is a shame as this is a great opportunity to get in while it's still a nascent industry and rules have yet to be set in stone.

    Salut,
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.