Thursday, December 06, 2007

Santa Baby...

What should a good feminist be putting on her list this year?

I think I've been nice this year. Unless you count my "naughty" attempts to subvert the patriarchy by blogging. But I do hope Santa will overlook that last bit...

Anyway, in this commercial holiday season, I find myself struggling over presents of appreciation for those hard to buy for folks in my life. And I'm not talking about my mum - she's getting a scarf, again (I swear, my knitting improves each year - eventually she will be able to wear one of them in public). I mean those peeps who need a little feminist push to help them start the new year right.

In the past, I gave one guy friend a "Feminist Chicks Dig Me T-shirt" to spread some feminist holiday cheer. I've also found that memberships to great organizations like the National Women's Studies Association make good feminist-friendly buys. And never underestimate the power of a year-long subscription to Bitch or Bust - it's a gift that will keep on giving great activist-y information! But I do feel like my usual charitable donations are becoming predictable presents. What should I gift this year?

And, most importantly, what feminist "must have" should be on my list this year? I already have all the hairy-legged, man-hating, stereotypical traits in my feminist toolbox and it doesn't seem like a guarantee of my reproductive freedom will make it under the tree by Christmas day. So, for this pragmatic feminist blogger, what is the ideal holiday gift? Hm...

Well, happy holidays - to those who are celebrating and to those who are just enjoying some bonus vacation days!


Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjunction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

3 comments:

  1. A book, perhaps? I've always loved Kiss My Tiara. Or maybe Manifesta? Or Bitchfest? I'm a sucker for book gifts!

    Cheers,
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reading recommendations! Thanks. : )

    I wonder what the top 10 feminist books for 2007 would be, if we created a list...Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings!

    I totally love the idea of a list of top feminist books for 2007. Would make a great Christmas gift list.

    How about Sisterhood is Powerful and Jessica Valenti's Full Frontal Feminism? And I actually haven't read this one, but the reviews were good: Fight Like a Girl, by Megan Seely. And of course, you've already mentioned The Daring Book for Girls.

    Others?

    Cheers,
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.