Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blogging for Choice

Blog for Choice Day

Why I am Voting Pro-Choice?

As a U.S. citizen, I have the luxury of voting in the 2008 presidential election. I have the opportunity to influence U.S. policy by visiting the ballot box. I can make my opinion known to the U.S. government - that reproductive choice must be protected - and help to ensure that the politicians who are elected to office will protect this right. Because my ability to vote allows me to hold U.S. policymakers accountable.

Many women and men worldwide who are deeply effected by U.S. policy, however, do not have the ability to to shape the very policy that determines their reproductive self-determination. The global gag rule prevents many individuals from having access to a full range of basic reproductive health care - and, in many cases, this fact radically changes these individuals' lives. But so many of the people who are most personally and profoundly effected by U.S. reproductive policy, well, they don't get to vote in the 2008 presidential election.

So, as someone who has the privilege to weigh in on reproductive choice and U.S. policy, how could I not take full advantage of this opportunity to support and to ensure reproductive freedom - for myself, for my community, for my country, and for my world?

That's why I vote pro-choice.

What Is Blog for Choice Day?

Sponsored by NARAL, Blog for Choice Day,
provides us with an opportunity to raise the profile of reproductive rights in the blogosphere and the media, while celebrating Roe's 35th anniversary. Plus, it's a great way to let your readers and the mainstream media know that a woman's right to choose is a core progressive value that must be protected.


How Can I Get Involved

Want to get more involved in blogging for choice? It's not too late! Start by joining the Facebook group I'm Celebrating the 35th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade.



Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjunction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.