Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Cyber-face

Online Perfomativity

Okay, so any NYTime article that references Goffman's theory of performativity does pique my interest. And if it's an article online self-presentation! I mean, I did write a whole M.A. thesis that, in part, considers what behavior - through the regulation of the public sphere - is "acceptable" online (and why...like, why is it okay to threaten violence against women if they are self-identified feminists?).

While there is nothing particularly groundbreaking per se in "Putting Your Best Cyberface Forward," I do see this article as a great quick-read for instructors to share with students. Being media savvy these days means a lot more than learning to be skeptical of information in advertisements or checking the veracity of internet sources. It's also about self-presentation - specifically the art of crafting one's life, online - and the repercussions that online play has offline (and vice versa).

Musing: I wonder what my own personal online "brand" is...


Please note that as my M.A. thesis project is complete, the George Washington University is no longer overseeing research conducted in conjunction with this blog (effective June 2007 to present). The Informed Consent Materials created while this blog was under GWU's IRB oversight are still available for your information and the principles outlined in them are still being used as a general guide for my continued work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that ABWAB reserves the right to not publish any comments that do not meet community standards.